Saturday, August 21, 2010

CSRs who insult customers cost you clients!

You might have already guessed from the headline that I had the “pleasure” of being insulted by a customer service rep... again. This time I brought it on myself. I called the company. The telephone company. I can already hear your groans. You know what it’s like; most of us have been subjected to that particular brand of torture. What’s really sad is that we all have such stories – no matter what carrier we use.


Even sadder: Customer Service reps who answer 1-800 lines are often the only people with whom customers interact on a regular basis, so if they don’t do a good job, companies risk losing their clients.

On three separate occasions over the past 10 days, I got off the phone appalled by how the call had been handled. I make it a point to be courteous and friendly when speaking with CSRs (or at least I start out that way) and if I had this many unfortunate experiences, I can only imagine the high numbers of clients across the nation who are being mistreated by call centre employees.

Story #1

I called a company with which I do a lot of business – in fact, my volume has now reached the point where I have been accorded VIP status. Too bad I don’t also get VIP treatment.

The rep who plucked me from the queue had “attitude” from the get go. Instead of asking for my account password, she barked: “Password”. When I replied, “Honey” (the correct answer), the woman with the big southern accent reprimanded me with a “Don’t you ‘honey’ me.” I’m sure that I was not the first person who had to endure this women’s bad mood because when the rep came on the line she was already spoiling for a fight.

Note to marketers:

Make sure that CSRs start their shifts in a positive frame of mind. Do periodic checks and give them enough breaks to help them stay fresh. Things I have used successfully with various call centres:

• Have CSRs and supervisors watch short humorous clips at the start of a shift and during breaks. America’s Funniest Videos and Just for Laugh Gags seem to work well.

• Encourage CSRs to post photos in their cubicle that make them happy. After a trying customer, have reps stand for a moment, shift their visual focus to one of their favourite photos and take a deep breath before taking the next call.

• After a truly annoying customer (I know, most customers can be annoying, but I’m talking about the truly trying ones), have reps read something humorous after their “stand, focus, breathe routine”. I find that 2 or 3 jokes or one of the Reader’s Digest “Life’s Like That” stories can be effective. (Sample stories can be found online at: http://www.readersdigest.ca/laugh_search.html.)

Yes, this means that there will be a 15 – 20 second lag between the calls, but the next calls will go far more smoothly and quickly as a result. (And yes, timed trials we conducted support this assertion.)

Story #2

This time, the rep was unable to resolve my problem and didn’t really understand it anyway. After multiple attempts, I quietly said something along the lines of, “I know from my own work that supervisors often have codes and access to files that other reps don’t. Could you please put me through to a supervisor.”

His answer: “No.”

Thinking he hadn’t understood (his English was not great), I tried it another way. Again, I was told no. No explanation, no apology, just a curt “no”. Then I heard a click followed by a brief silence and then a dial tone. The rep had hung up on me!

I had waited nearly 10 minutes to get to that rep and he had hung up on me!

I dialled again. And waited on hold listening to insipid music. Again. When I finally got through to the company and was able to find someone to whom I could complain, I was told that he had probably hung up on me because the company’s reps had to answer a certain number of calls an hour and I had “probably taken up too much of his time”. I was also informed that CSRs were expected to handle their own calls without having to call upon their supervisors. The implication was that my actions were the reason that the rep had been forced to hang up on me.

Needless to say, we are no longer dealing with that company.

Note to marketers:

• Train your CSRs adequately and do not let them on the lines until they thoroughly understand your product, how it works and how to deal with things that typically go wrong, and how clients should be handled.

• Although you may encourage your reps to resolve customer problems within a certain amount of time, do NOT assign your reps quotas or reward them for getting through calls in shorter and shorter periods of time. Instead, determine how to reward CSRs for how effectively they handle calls and how good a job they do of making clients feel like they have been well-treated.

• Ensure that CSRs know they must never hang up on customers, no matter what.

And now, the tale that promoted this week’s blog post in the first place:

Story #3

Once again, a company insisted it had not made a mistake despite evidence to the contrary.

What happened? The short version: My eldest asked me when her cell phone contract was up. Not realizing that she was thinking of getting her own Blackberry and taking over the payments herself (mom had been footing the bill for the past 10 years or so), my answer was a distracted, “Uh... this August”.

A few days later she came home and proudly showed me her new Blackberry. The twist: My daughter had gone with a new carrier – but had asked to keep her existing phone number. Without speaking with me – the person in whose name the phone was listed and the person who paid the bills – the carrier I had been with for 20 years let the number be ported out. The problem is that there had been 3 phones on a single shared plan.

As soon as I learned what happened I immediately called *** to see if there would be a problem. There was. Someone in “customer retention” (hah!) had taken all three numbers off the plan and had put the two remaining phones on a different, more expensive plan. All without talking to me, the person in whose name had been listed.

At first the rep suggested that my daughter had pretended to be me (which was not the thing to say if trying to ingratiate yourself to a customer). After I explained that was impossible because she had had to show her driver’s licence and another piece of ID in her own name to get her Blackberry, the rep admitted it was their fault... but added there was no way the plan could be reinstated because it no longer existed... even though this had all happened in the previous 90 minutes or so.

After agreeing to move my youngest’s phone to a student plan that was almost (but not quite) as good as the original one, I was told I would have to send them proof of university enrolment and ID. I faxed the papers the following day. 10 days later, I called to make a payment and found that I had been charged over $250: $100 for my eldest daughter cancelling the 1st cell phone 3 days before the contact end date (even though I was told this would be waived because it had only been a few days and because *** had not checked with me) and the rest was “over-minute use” because of the type of phone plan the retention rep had put us on.

When I explained that I had indeed faxed the papers, I got transferred. 7 minutes and 27 seconds later (according to my phone’s timer) I got to explain the whole story again to someone in the hopes of getting the charges reversed. The response, in a supercilious tone: “Well, if you had sent the papers in, then we would have them, wouldn’t we?”

Despite seeing red, and purple and a hazy green colour, I kept my cool and said that I could send a fax confirmation sheet to prove what I was saying. When the rep’s reply suggested that I was making it up, I hung up and tried again.

It took over two hours, but thanks to wonderful rep named Robin – who was the very first person to apologize – it will be resolved at the beginning of next week. (Though I did have to fax the original papers, a new note and the original confirmation notice twice more in the interim.)

Note to marketers:

• Let your CSRs know that it is never, ever, ever, okay to speak in a patronizing tone to customers or to be rude to them.

• Make sure your database can flag customers who repeatedly call in looking for rebates or giving you reasons why bills are not being paid, etc.

Then, when a client calls in, if there are no flags, make sure the CSR takes the customer’s side and tries to help – especially when the client has a long-term relationship with your company.

Even if there is a flag in place, CSRs need to treat the customers with respect (provided the client is not unreasonably rude) and listen objectively to what is being said. When uncertain about how to proceed, CSRs must know to involve their supervisors.


A few other suggestions to help keep the mood right

• Place mirrors next to the reps’ cubicles and encourage them to smile at themselves at the beginning of each call – but not during the call as it tends to distract CSRs.

• Don’t allow your CSRs to work double shifts as their ability to handle calls “nicely” and effectively diminishes the longer they answer calls.

• Provide CSRs with a quiet, phone-free place where they can take their breaks for people who want “silence” and an area where people can watch funny flicks if they prefer.

• Discourage reps from complaining about their callers during their breaks or they will return to their headsets more stressed than before the break. Again, this is supported by blood pressure experiments we conducted in multiple call centres.

• Provide free tea, coffee, pop, water and light snacks in the rest areas. When people return to their stations refreshed, rehydrated and reenergized, their ability to deliver excellent customer service increases significantly.
As mentioned at the outset, the Customer Service Reps who handle your inbound calls are often the only people with whom your customers speak on a regular basis. If these CSRs don’t do a good job, you risk losing customers. On the other hand, if they provide excellent service, you will likely enjoy a corresponding increase in customer loyalty. So... it makes sense pay CSRs well and treat them even better.

If you would like more on info on this topic, please feel free to contact me: jmc@theQgroup.com or 416-424-6644.



Regards, Jane-Michele Clark

No comments:

Post a Comment